The tuber root of Ste phania sinica Diels., family Menispermaceae.
Tuber root appearing as irregular masses, the small ones about 10 cm in
diameter and the large ones as heavy as 100 kg. Epidermis greyish brown,
unsmooth, with irregular striae. Section appearing white or reddish and
farinaceous. Bitter in taste and cold in nature.
1. Remove blood stasis and alleviate pain: For stomachache, headache,
toothache, trauma and rheumatism.
2. Clear away heat and toxic material: For sorethroat, aphthae, carbuncle,
bum, snake bites, dysentery and diarrhea.
3. Relax the muscles: As a muscle relaxant for restoration of fracture
and surgical operation.
1. L-tetrahydropalmatine 20-40 mg/kg intraperitoneally in mice and 15
mg/kg intravenously in rabbits exert analgesic and sedative effects.
2. Reducing the body temperature in healthy or thyroidectomized rats.
9-15g. Ampoule (containing chinensin): 1.0-1.5 mg/kg IV as muscle relaxant.