Root of Rehinannia glutinosa Libosch., family Scrophutariaceae, Prepared
by steaming it with wine and drying repeatedly.
Root irregular masses, varying in size, dark and lustrous. Soft and sticky
in texture. Sweet and slightly bitter in taste, slightly warm in nature,
and attributive to heart, liver and kidney channels.
1. Produce essence and enrich blood: For insufficiency of essence and
blood manifested as sallow complexion, fatigue, dizziness, palpitation,
menoxenia and metrorrhagia.
2. Nourish yin and moisturize dryness: For deficiency of liver-yin and
kidney-yin manifested as hectic fever, night sweat, emission and diabetes,
usually used together with Fructus Corni and Rhizoma Dioscoreae;
also used for prurigo due to dryness of blood, muscular spasm due to blood-deficiency
or yin-deficiency, and constipation due to insufficiency of body fluid
3. Invigorate the liver and kidney: For backache with knee aching due
to deficiency of liver and kidney, such as chronic lumbar strain, hyperplasia
of lumbar vertebra, etc.; for endemic osteoarthritis deformans, usually
used together with Herba Cistanches; also for dyspnea and chronic cough
of kidney-deficiency type. Recently used singly for hypertension and hypercholesterinemia.
1. Exerting an anti-exudative and anti-inflammatory effect on inflammatory
granulation in rats.
2. Cardiotonic, hypotensive and diuretic.
3. Catalpol, one of its active components, is an anti-diabetic.
Contraindicated for those with loose stools and accumulation of dampness.