Rhizome of Polygonatum sibiricum Red., P cyrtonema Hua or the other species
of the same genus, family Liliaceae.
P. sibiricum: Rhizome thick, fleshy, and tuber6us, looks like a chicken's
usually several of them gathered together, 3-10 cm long. Surface dark-brown,
nodes invisible, with little discoidal stem scan P. cyrtonema: Rhizome
transverse, long, with short branching, ginger-like shape. Surface dark-brown,
stem scars round and large. Prepared as irregular pieces. Both are sweet
in taste, mild in nature, and attributive to lung, kidney and spleen channels.
1. Nourish yin and moisturize the lung: For dry cough with less sputum
due to yin-deficiency with lung-dryness, and pulmonary tuberculosis with
cough, hemoptysis and hectic fever.
2. Strengthen the middle-jiao and benefit vital energy: For yin and vital
energy. deficiency of spleen and stomach manifested as poor appetite,
fatigue, dry and uncoated tongue; deficiency of lung and spleen with susceptibility
to common cold, or susceptibility to skin infection due to general debility.
3. Supplement essence and enrich blood: For insufficiency of essence and
blood with dizziness and weakness of the loins and knees. Recently, also
used for coronary disease, used together with Radix Paeoniae Rubra;
for leukopenia, used together with Fructus Ziziphi Jujubae; and adolescent
myopia or drug-induced deafness. External use for skin tinea.
1. Promoting lymphocyte-blastogenesis.
2. Increasing coronary flow and myocardial contractility.
3. Lowering the level of blood lipids.
4. Inhibiting the growth of Bacillus tuberculosis and various kinds of
fungi in vitro.
External use: Appropriate amount.