Root of Astragalus membranaceus (Fisch.) Bunge var. mongholicus (Bunge)
Hsiao, and A. membranaceus (Fisch.) Bunge, and the other species of the
same genus and Hedysarum polybotrys Hand.-Mazz., family Leguminosae.
1. Astragali: Root long-terete, occasionally branching, 30-90 cm long,
cm in diameter. Cork grey-yellow, with lenticels and fibrous root scar,
old root base bearing stem base, its pith often withered and dark-brown.
Fracture surface fibrous and farinaceous; ortex slightly loose, fibrous
and reticular. Prepared as cross or obliquely cutting pieces, section
light yellow, the cortex usually separated from the xylem, vascular bundles
in the xylem fme, dense and radially arranged, with cracks sometimes.
Slightly sweet when chewed, with a smell of beans.
2. Hedysan: Cork red-brown, usually peeling off to reveal a yellow cortex.
Cross section dense, cortex with sparse fibers. Both are sweet in taste,
slightly warm in nature, and attributive to spleen and lung channels.
1. Invigorate vital energy and spleen: For spleen-deficiency with poor
appetite, loose stools, fatigue and bleeding, usually used together with
Radix Codonopsis Pilosulae and Rhizoma Atractylodis Macrocephalae; for
deficiency of both vital energy and blood, used together with Radix Angelicae
Sinensis (Decoction of Angellcae Sinensis for Enriching Blood).
2. Invigorate vital energy to activate yang: For collapse of middle-jiao
energy manifested as prolapse of rectum, hysteroptosis or gastroptosis,
usually used together with cbdonopsis Pilosuiae, Rhizoma Cimicifugae and
3. Invigorate vital energy to strengthen the body: For common cold in
debilitated patient, superficies-asthenia with profuse sweating, usually
used together with A tractylodis Macrocephalae.
4. Relieve skin infection and promote tissue regeneration: For unruptured
abscess, unhealed carbuncle, skin erosion, unhealed wound, eruptive diseases
and skin infection of yin type. Recently, used for peptic ulcer and atrophic
5. Promote diuresis and relieve edema: For edema of spleen-deficiency
type. In addition, it can invigorate vital energy to promote the production
of body fluid and quench thirst and is indicated for diabetes; hemiplegia
due to deficiency of vital energy and blood stasis. Also used for asthma
1. Increasing the amount of leukocytes and poly-morphocytes in peripheral
blood and promoting lymphocyte-blastogenesis.
2. Its polysaccharide promotes the healing of skin ulcer.
4. Dilating coronary artery and capillaries.
9-15g, up to 30-60g.
Injection: 100% Astragali ampoule 2 ml IM bid or for point injection.