The root tuber of Ophiopogon japonicus (Thunb.) Ker-Gawl., family Liliaceae.
tuber cambiform, 1.5-3.0 cm long. Surface yellow-white, with fme and longitudinal
wrinkles. Fracture surface semi-opaque, with broad cortex and narrow stele.
Soft in texture. Sweet and slightly bitter in taste, slightly cold in
nature, and attributive to heart, lung and stomach channels.
1. Nourish yin and moisturize the lung: For yin-deficiency with lung-dryness
or impairment of the lung by dryness-heat manifested as dry cough with
thick sputum, and dryness of the throat and mouth.
2. Nourish the stomach and promote the production of body fluid: For febrile
diseases with consumption of body fluid manifested as thirst, dry throat,
red tongue with little coating; for constipation due to dryness of intestine
and consumption of fluid. Recently, also used for diabetes mellitus.
3. Nourish the heart and clear away heart-fire: For heat in the heart
channel manifested as fever, vexation, palpitation, and insomnia; and
insufficiency of heart-yin manifested as restlessness, palpitation and
Recently, also used for angina pectoris.
1. Relieving leucopenia in mice induced by cyclophosphamide and radiation
sickness in dogs.
2. Increasing anoxia tolerance in experimental animals under atmospheric
3. Increasing coronary flow and improving myocardial c6ntractility in
4. Decreasing the level of blood sugar.
Decoction: 6-12g; 10-15g tid for angina pectoris.