The root or rhizome of Acanthopanax senticosus (Rupr. et Maxim.) Harms,
Rhizome irregularly terete, tubercular, 1.4-4.2 cm in diameter. Root twisted,
3.5-12 cm long, 0.3-1.5 cm in diameter, its cork thin and easily separated,
grey-brown, coarse, with fme and longitudinal grooves. Fracture surface
yellow-white and flbrous. Aromatic in odour. Acrid and slightly bitter
in taste, warm in nature.
1. Expel wind and dampness, strengthen the tendons and bones: For chronic
rheumatism with flaccidity of extremities, infantile paralysis.
2. Nourish the heart and tranquilize manifested as insomnia, dreaminess
or adverse reaction at high attitude water. the mind: For deficiency of
heart and palpitation; and for seasickness, or under low temperature and
3. Benefit vital energy: For spleen-deficiency with poor appetite, loose
stools and fatigue. Recently, also used for leukocytopenia, coronary heart
disease, chronic bronchitis, thromboang~tis obliterans, or as a subsidiary
of anti-carcinogenic drugs or X-ray therapy for tumor.
1. Improving tolerance to fatigue.
2. Increasing the body resistance against diseases.
4. LD50 is 4.75g/kg in mice.
Decoction: 6-15g. Tablet: 3-4 tablets tid.