Fruit of Schisandra ehinensis (Turcz.) Baill. and S. sphenanthera, family
Fruit sphefiodal, 5-8 mm in diameter. Carpodermis purple-red or dull red,
and soft. Seed reniform, yellow-brown, 1-2 in each fruit. Sour in taste,
warm in nature, and attributive to lung, heart andkidney channels.
1. Benefit vital energy and promote the production of body fluid: For
insufficiency of vital energy and body fluid manifested as fatigue, shortness
of breath, palpitation, hyperhidrosis (spontaneous perspiration or night
sweat), thirst, diabetes, etc., usually used together with Radix Ginseng
and Radix Ophiopogonis (Powder for Restoring Pulse Beating).
2. Astringe lung-energy, relieve dyspnea and cough: For cough and dyspnea
of lung-deficiency type, lung-cold type and the type of deficiency of
both lung and kidney.
3. Invigorate kidney to preserve essence: For kidney-deficiency syndrome
with emission, chronic diarrhea, leucorrhagia, etc.
4. Nourish the heart and calm the mind: For heart-deficiency syndrome
with palpitation, insomnia, and dreaminess. In addition, its powder preparation
is used for chronic. hepatitis with elevation of serum transaminase.
1. Its decoction exerts bacteno static effect on Pseudomonas aeruginosa
(1:128), Staphylococcus aureus (1:64), Flexner's bacillus (1:32) and typhoid
bacillus (1:8) in vitro.
2. Schizandrin, one of its active components, can protect the liver from
3. Enhancing lymphocyte-blastogenesis rate.
4. Cardiotonic and sedative.
3-9g, up to 30-60g for single use. Powder: 3-9g tid.