Fructus Ligustri Lucidi
Fruit of Ligustrum lucidum Ait., family Oleaceae.
Fruit elliptical or reniform, 6.0-8.5 mm long, 3.5-5.5 mm in diameter.
purple-dark, irregularly wrinkled. Pericarp thin, easily to be separated;
pulp loose and 50ff; kernel yellow-brown, with longitudinal ridges, containing
one seed. Sweet and bitter in taste, slightly cold in nature, and attributive
to liver and kidney channels.
1. Tonify the liver and the kidney, darken the hair and pmmote the visual
acuity: For deficiency of liver-yin and kidneyyin manifested as dizziness,
tinnitus, blurring of vision, weakness of the loin and knees, hectic fever,
noctumal emission, alopecia and poliosis, usually used with Herba Ecliptae
(Erzhi Pill). Recently also used for seborrheic alopecia, central retinitis,
early cataract, etc.
2.Tranquilize the mind by nourishing the heart: For insufficiency of laurt-yin
manifested as insomnia, palpitation and precordial pain. Recently, also
used for angina pectoris, hyperlipemia and neurasthenia, especially those
of yin-deficiency type. In addition, also used for leukocytopenia, viral
hepatitis with yin-deficiency syndrome; its component oleanolic acid
for various kinds of hepatitis
1. Its component oleanolic acid can prevent and relieve cyclophosphamide-induced
leukocytopenia in mice.
2. Enhancing the anoxia tolerance of mice under atmospheric pressure.
3. Incresing coronary flow in rabbits in vitro.
4. Relaxing adrenaline-induced vasocontriction in rabbits in vitro.
5. Lowering the level of blood lipid.
9-15g. Oleanolic acid tablet: 30-40 mg tid.