The root (or with rhizome) of Panax ginseng C.A. Mey., family Araliaceae.
1. Dried wild ginseng: Axial root short and broad, often bifurcate, 2-10
cm long, greyish yellow-white; cork lenticellate and longitudinally striped,
with annular marks at the upper part. Fibrous root numerous, slender,
with granular protuberances. Rhizome slender, somewhate curved, oembium
visible. Hard in texture.
2. Dried cultivated ginseng: Axial root about 15 cm long, 1-2 cm in diameter,
with 2-3 branches and few fibrous roots, sometime with granular pmtuberances,
and slender adventitious roots.
3. Steamed and dried cultivated ginseng: Axial root terete, 10 cm long,
remained with 2-3 branches, translucent, reddish brown. Section even,
flat and corneou~ All are sweet and slightly bitter in taste, warm in
nature, and attributive to spleen, lung and heart channels.
1. Invigorate vital energy and relieve collapse-syndrome: For collapse-syndrome
with listlessness, weak respiration and indistinct pulse; single use for
exhaustion of vital energy or blood (Decoction of Ginseng); for yin-exhaustion,
used together with Radix Ophiopogonis, Fructus Schtsandrae (Powder for
Restoring Pulse Beating); for yang-exhaustion, used together with Radix
Aconiti Praeparata (Decoction of Ginseng and Aconiti Praeparata). Recently,
also used for heart failure and shock.
2. Invigorate spleen-energy: For spleen-deficiency syndrome manifested
as poor appetite, fatigue and emaciation, hemorrhagic diseases, prolapse
of uterus and rectum, visceroptosis and anemia.
3. Promote the production of body fluid to quench thirst: For febrile
diseases with consumption of body fluid, and diabetes.
4. Invigorate lung-energy: For deficiency of lung-energy manifested as
shortness of breath, dyspnea, cough, night sweat, and susceptibility to
5. Invigorate wei-energy: For common cold in debilitated patient, pyogenic
skin infection and carbuncle of yin type.
Supplement vital energy and calm the mind: For deficiency of heart energy
manifested as palpitation, amnesia, insomnia, absent-mindedness, spontaneous
perspiration, cardiodyriia, etc. In addition, also for impotence, sterility,
emission, ejaculatio praecox, enuresis, etc.
It contains many ginsenosides, such as ginsenoside R0, Ra, Rbl, Rb2, Rc,
Rd, Re, Rf, Rgi, Rg2, Rg3, etc.
1. Acting on the central nervous system including excitation and inhibition
2. Exerting significant cardiotonic and hypertensive effects on acute
circulatory failure after heavy blood loss.
3. Decreasing the level of blood sugar.
4. Promoting phagocytosis and enhancing lymphocyte-blastogenesis rate.
Decoction: 3-9g; 10-20g for shock.