The whole plant of Sarcandra glabra (Thunb.) Nakai, family Chloranthaceae.
A herb or subshrub. Stem node enlarged. leaves opposite, coriaceous, elliptical,
a ring of leaf sheath scars remained under the node after the dropping
of leaves. Spike terminal, more or less branched, without perianth, a
stamen growing on one side of the globular pistil. Drupe globular and
red. Bitter and sweet in taste, slightly warm in nature, and attributive
to lung, stomach and liver channels.
1. Clear away heat and toxic material: For carbuncle due to intensive
heat, aphthae, gingivitis, dysentery, filariasis, etc.
2. Promote blood circulation and remove blood stasis, expel wind and dredge
channels: For trauma, rheumatism, stomachache. Recently, used for rheumatoid
arthritis, coronary heart diseases and angina pectoris.
3. Clear away heat-phlegm: For cough due to lung-heat and dyspnea.
4. Antitumorigenic: For tumour of digestive system, lung cancer, leukemia,
1. Inhibiting the growth of Staphylococcus aureus, Pseudomonas aeruginosa,
Salmonella typhosa and various Shigella dysenteriae in vitro.
2. Nonspecific anti-inflammatory and promoting the repair of gastric ulcer.
3. Its volatile oil and flavones inhibit sarcoma180 and leukemia615, and
the former destroys directly the cells of leukemia615 in vitro.
4. Protecting the ischemic myocardium caused by pituitrin in rabbits and
increasing the anoxia tolerance under atmosphere in mice.
Tablet (containing 2.5g of crude herb): 4-6 tablets tid.
Ampoule (2 ml containing 10g of crude herb): 24 ml IM or IV bid or tid.