Seed ofAreca catechu L., family Palmae.
Seed semi-spherical, 1.5-3.5 cm long, base 1.5-3.0 cm in diameter. Surface
of spermoderm grey-yellow to red-brown, with reticular grooves; base depressed
a prominent hilum visible on the lateral margin. Hard in texture. Prepared
as slices, the section showing curved patterns brown alternating with
white. Bitter and acrid in taste, warm in nature, and attributive to stomach
and large intestine channels.
1. Kill parasite: For taeniasis, especially taeniasis suis, usually used
with Semen Cucurbitae together; also for fasciolopsiasis, ascariasis,
trichuriasis, oxyuriasis and ancylostomiasis.
2. Activate circulation of vital energy and relieve dyspepsia: For dyspepsia
with abdominal distension and constipation, and dysentery with tenesmus.
3. Promote diuresis: For wet beriberi and edema. In addition, also for
glaucoma and for reducing the emetic action of Radix Dichroae.
1. As a neurotoxin for tapeworms.
Arecaidine hydrobromide for eyedrop cause miosis.
3. Accelerating the secretion of digestive juices and promoting appetite.
6-15g; 60-100g for taeniasis, fasciolopsiasis, and trichuriasis.
Eyedrops: 200% solution for glaucoma.
Over dosage of arecoline may cause salivation, vomiting, lethargy and