Seed of Ziziphus spinosa Hu, family Rhamnaceae.
flat-rounded, 5-9 mm in diameter, 3 mm thick. Spermoderm purple-brown,
smooth and bright. A longitudinal stria appearing on one side of the seed,
a white linear hilum at one end and a small protruding chalaza at the
other end. Sweet and sour in taste, mild in nature, and attributive to
heart and liver channels.
1. Nourish the heart, benefit the liver and tranquilize the mind: For
deficiency of heart-blood and liver-blood with vexation, insomnia, severe
palpitation, frightening and amnesia, used together with Radix Angelicae
Sinensis, Radix Polygoni Multiflori and Arillus Longan; for liver-deficiency
with heat, used together with Rhizoma Anemarrhenae and Poria; for yin-deficiency
with yang-hyperactivity, used together with Radix Rehmanniae and Semen
2. Stop sweating: For general debility with spontaneous perspiration,
and night sweating.
chief components are jujuboside A and B.
1. Intraperitoneal injection of its decoction (2.5-5.0g/kg) exerts sedative
and hypnotic effects in rats.
2. Intravenous injection of its decoction exerts significant and prolonged
hypotensive effect in anesthetized dogs.
3. Occasionally causing heart block.
4. Inducing hysterospasm.