Root or root cortex of Polygala tenuifolia Wilid., family Polygalaceae.
Root fme-terete, curved, 10-25 cm long, 0.3-1.0 cm in diameter. Surface
grey-yellow, with depressed annular wrinkles, forming nodular appearance
in old roots. Cross section showing large xylem which easily separated
from the cortex; cortex quilled when the xylem is separated. Bitter and
acrid in taste, warm in nature, and attributive to lung and liver channels.
1. Tranquilize the mind: For irritability, frightening, severe palpitation,
insomnia, dreaminess and amnesia, used together with Dens Draconis, Poria
2. Eliminate phlegm and wake up from unconsciousness: For obstruction
of heart orifice by phlegm manifested as absent-mindedness,frightening,
insanity and mania, usually used together with Alumen, Rhizowia Acori
Graminei, Radix Curcumae; for productive cough with difficulty in expectoration,
used together with Radix Platycodi and Radix Glycyrrhizae.
3. Dissipate the carbuncles and disperse the lumps: For skin infection,
acute mastitis and breast nodules.
1. Its expectorant effect is stronger than Radix Piatycodi.
2. Increasing the contractility and muscuhr tone of gravid or ungravid
uteri in experimental animals.
3. Exerting a strong hemolytic effect in vitro.