The body with the organs removed of Pheretima aspergillum (Perrier) or
the whole body of Allolobophora Caligiliosa (Savigny) trapezoides (Ant.
Duges ),family Megascolecidae.
P. aspergilhim: Body paries twisted, 10-20 cm in length; surface brown,
mouth and anus visible, with many fine and dense somites, spotted setae
on the somites; clitellum seen near the anterior part of the body known
as "white neck". Light in weight, somewhat coriaceous in texture, often
broken into irregular pieces. A. caliginosa trapezoides: The body shorter
than the former, clitellum indistinct, organs and mud filled inside the
body. Both are sour in taste, cold in nature, and attributive to liver,
spleen and urinary bladder channels.
1. Clear away heat and calm the liver, expel wind and relieve spasm: For
heat-syndrome with convulsion; for hyperactivity or wind transformation
of liver-yang with dizziness, headache and convulsion or manifested as
epilepsy and insanity.
2. Relieve cough and asthma: For whooping cough and bronchial asthma.
3. Expel wind to alleviate itching: For urticaria, eczema and drug rash.
4. Expel wind to dredge the meridian: For' arthralgia of wind-dampness-
heat type, hemiplegia after apoplexy.
5. Promote diuresis: For heat-syndrome of urinary bladder with dysuria
or retention of urine.
Lower blood pressure: For hypertension, especially that attributive to
to hyperactivity of liver-yang. In addition, infusion of living earthworm
derived from that buried in sugar may be used externally for mumps, skin
ulcer and burns. Oral and topical use may also be applicable in case of
fracture, for relieving swelling, alleviating pain and promoting the growth
1. Relaxing bronchial spasm in rats or rabbits.
2. Intravenous injection of alcoholic infusion (0.1g/kg) lowers blood
pressure in anesthetized dogs.
3. Sedative and anticonvulsive.
4. Lumbrifebrine, one of its active components, is an antipyretic.
Powder: l-2g bid or tid.
External use: Appropriate amount.