The secretion from the postauricular and skin glands of Bufo bufo gargarizans
Cantor and the other species of the same genus, family Bufonidae. Prepared
as dried sample.
The sample appearing as brown-black to purple-black, with a smooth surface.
The section appearing as lustrous cutin. Irritating in odour. Frothy and
white milky fluid appearing when tested with water. Sweet and acrid in
atste, warm in. nature, toxic and attributive to heart channel.
1. Eliminate toxic material, relieve carbuncle, soften hard mass and disperse
tumour: For carbuncle, furuncle, cellulitis, multiple abscesses, sorethroat.
Recently, used for cancer of the lung and liver, tumour of digestive tract,
nasopharyngeal carcinoma, leukemia, etc.
2. Alleviate pain: For toothache, and also used as pulp devitalizer and
3. Cardiotonic, hypertensive and stimulate respiration: For cardiac failure,
cardiogenic, infective or hemorrhagic shock and respiratory failure. Resibufdgenin
is the alternative for this purpose.
1. Possessing cardiotonic effect as digitalis.
2. Exciting effect on central nervous system.
3. The local anesthetic effect of bufalin is 30-60 times as that of cocaine.
Inhibiting leukemia and Ehrlich-Ascites tumour in vitro.
5. LD50 is 41mg/kg in mice. The toxic symptoms include shortness of breath,
arrhythmia, paralysis, or even death.
Pill (powder): 15-30mg bid or tid.
External use: Appropriate amount.
Pill of Six Miraculous Drugs (containing Calculus Bovis, Moschus, Venenum
Bufonis, etc.): 10 pills tid up to 30-40 pills tid for leukemia. Resibufogenin
ampoule (1 ml containing 1 mg): 2mg added in 10% glucose solution 20-40
ml IV slowly for cardiovascular diseases.
Overdose may cause nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, even general paralysis.