Herb of Ardisia japonica (Hornst.) Bi., family Myrsinaceae.
A small shrub, 10-25 cm high, covered with brown hairs. Roots red. leaves
opposite or whorled, elliptical, 4-7 cm long; margin dentate, both surfaces
glandular spots. Flowers rare. Slightly bitter in taste, mild in nature,
and attributive to lung and liver channels.
1. Eliminate phlegm and relieve cough: For chronic cough, cough due to
pulmonary tuberculosis, cough of lung-heat type and hemoptysis. Recently,
used for chronic bronchitis, pulmonary tuberculosis, tuberculous pleuritis,
2. Promote diuresis to deprive dampness: For jaundice of dampness-heat
type and edema.
3. Activate blood circulation and stop bleeding: For amenia and abdominal
pain due to blood stasis, trauma, rheumatism and hematemesis.
1. Bergenin, an active component, is an expectorant.
2. Its volatile oil or flavone can relieve bronchospasm induced by histamine
3. Its decoction inhibits the growth of bleumococcus, Staphylococcus atireus
and influenza virus in vitro.