Herbs Salviae Plebeiae
Herb of Salvia plebela R. Br., family Labiatae.
A herb, 20-60 cm high. Stem square, much branching, pubescent. Leaves
opposite, long-ovate, both surfaces glandular spots. Verticillaster with
numerous flowers; corolla bilabiate and blue-purple. Bitter and acrid
in taste, cool in nature, and attributive to lung and liver channel.
1 Eliminate phlegm, relieve cough and dyspnea: For cough of lung-heat
type with abundant expectoration and dyspnea.
2. Clear away heat and toxic material: For sorethroat and skin infection.
3. Promote diuresis and reduce edema: For edema and dysuria.
4. Clear away heat to stop bleeding: For hemoptysis, hemafecia and hematohidrosis
due to blood-heat.
1. Its decoction is an expectorant, and can inhibit the growth of Staphylococcus
albus and pneumococcus in vitro.
2. Its flavone glycoside is an expectorant and antiasthmatic.