Root of Platycodon grandifiorum (Jaoq.) A. DC., family Campanulaceae.
Root long-conical or long-cambiform, somewhat twisted, some with branches,
6-25 cm long, 0.5-2.5 cm in diameter. Surface yellowish white or white,
longitudinally wrinkled, with transverse scars; the upper end enlarged
as an rhizome on which appearing semilunar stem scars. Prepared as crosscutting
slices, section comeous; cambium ring brown, cortex slightly loose, xylem
dense. Bitter and acrid in taste, bland in nature, and attributive to
1. Open the inhibited lung-energy and eliminate phlegm: For affection
of exogenous pathogenic factor or accumulation of phlegm in the lung,
manifested as cough with thick sputum, chest pain and feeling of oppression
in the chest.
2. Ease the throat and phonation: For sorethroat, aphonia.
3. Eliminate phlegm and drain the pus: For lung abscess. Usually used
together with Radix Glycyrrhizae (Decoction of Piatycodi and GIycyrrhizae)
for the above syndromes.
1. Small dosage of platycodoside, one of its active components, can increase
secretion of respiratory tract and promote expectoration.
2. Platycodoside may also serve as a sedative, an analgesic and an antipyretic.
3. Its decoction inhibits the growth of Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus
typhoid in vitro.