The thalline of Laminaria japonica Aresch., family Larminariaceae.
The whole plant consisting of root-like holdfast, short stipe and blade.
Blade long-belt, up to one meter long, 10-20 cm broad. Surface brown,
occasionally glaucescent, margin undulate and overlapping, thick at the
middle and thin at the margin. Stipe and holdfast short and small, presenting
at the base of the blade. Bitter and salty in taste, cold in nature, and
attributive to liver, stomach and kidney channels.
Eliminate phlegm and soften the hard lumps: For subcutaneous nodule, scrofula,
goiter and tumor.
2. Promote diuresis and reduce edema: For beriberi and edema
3. Lower blood pressure: For hypertension.
1. Treat hypothyroidism caused by deficiency of iodine and also hyperthyroidism.
2. Its component laminine is a hypotensive.
3. Another component laminarin can lower the level of blood lipids.
Contraindicated for spleen-deficiency with loose stools.