The fruit of Gleditsia sinensis Lam., family Leguminosae
Legum slender, 12-35 cm long, 2-4 cm broad, purple-brown, covered by white
waxy powder; becoming drepaniform and 4-12 cm in length when the plant
is aging or injured. Base with relic fruit stalk, top with remnants of
beak-shaped style. Acrid and salty in taste, warm in nature, slightly
toxic, and attributive to lung, liver, stomach and large intestine channels.
1. Eliminate phlegm and wake the patient from unconsciousness: For chronic
phlegm-syndrome with cough, thick sputum, difficulty in expectoration
and chest upset. Recently, used for chronic bronchitis; for apoplexy with
distortion of the face, the mixture of its powder and vinegar is used
for external application; for sudden syncope, used together with Herba
Asari as powder for nasal insufflation; for trismus due to apoplexy, epilepsy
with abundant expectoration, used with Alumen together.
2. Promote lactogenesis and relax bowels (extemal use): For galactostasis,
its powder wrapped with cloth and soaked in 75% alcohol, then put into
the nostril of the same side of the affected breast for 8-12 hours; for
ascarial intestinal obstruction or constipation, used with equal amount
mixed with honey and prepared as rectal suppository.
1. Its decoction increases mucous secretion of respiratory tract in experimental
2. Its decoction induces hysterospasm in rats.
3. Inhibiting the growth of Trichophyton violaceum and Nocardia asteroides
4. Large dosage may cause hemolysis and paralysis of the respiratory center.
2-5g. Pill and powder: 0.3-0.4g
External use: Appropriate amount.