The seed of Sinapis alba L., family Cruciferae.
Seed globulose, 1.0-2.5 mm in diameter. Surface yellowish white, smooth;
reticular striae and dull dotted hilum seen under magnifier. Acrid in
taste, warm in nature, and attributive to lung channel.
1. Warm the lung, promote energy circulation and eliminate phlegm: For
cold-phlegm and phlegm-retention syndrome with productive cough, thin
expectoration, dyspnea, fullness and pain in the chest.
2. Eliminate phlegm, disperse lumps, dredge the channels and alleviate
pain: For metastatic abscesses due to phlegm-dampness, deep-rooted carbuncle
of yin type, numbness and pain of the extremities due to stagnation of
phlegm in the channels, and goiter.
1. The hydrolyzates of sinalbin may irritate the skin and cause flushing,
congestion and pain.
2. Emetic and expectorant; over dosage may cause gastritis.
3. Inhibiting the growth of Trichophyton violaceum and Trichophyton schoenleini