The whole plant of Polygonum avicutare L., family Polygonaceae.
herblet, stem slightly flat, with multi-branching base. Leaves alternate,
lanceolate;ochrea membranous. Flowers small, clustered, axillary, green-white.
Bitter in taste, mild in nature, and attributive to urinary bladder and
large intestine channels.
1. Promote diuresis and relieve stranguria: For stranguria caused by urinary
stone and of heat-type.
2. Clear away dampness-heat: For dysentery and jaundice of dampness-heat
3. Cool the blood and stop bleeding: For hematuria and metrorrhagia.
4. Alleviate itching: External use for eczema, trichomonas vaginitis,
1. Avicularin, an active component, is a diuretic and cholecystagogue.
2. Its extract promotes blood coagulation.
External use: Appropriate amount.