Root of Gentiana macrophylki Pall. and G. dahurica Fisch., family Gentianaceae.
G. macmphylla Pall: Root cylindriod, 10-30 cm long, somewhat twisted,
longitudinally striated, or several rootlets twisted together; surface
reticular and grey-yellow. Section oily or withered. G. dahunca Fisch:
Root conical, 8-15 cm long, with an axial root and branches at the lower
part. Bitter and acrid in taste, mild in nature, and attributive to stomach,
liver and gallbladder channels.
1. Clear away heat, expel cold and dampness: For arthralgia of wind-dampness-heat
type and muscular spasm.
2. Lower asthenic fever: For infantile malnutrition with fever, hectic
fever due to yin-deficiency, usually used together with Rhizoma Anemarrhenae,
Cortex Lycll Radicis.
3. Promote diuresis, relax the bowels, and relieve jaundice: For jaundice
of dampness-heat type, dysuria and dyschesia.
is one of its active components.
1. Inhibiting experimental arthritis in mice and decreasing capillary
3. Inducing transient hypotensive effect.