Root of Stephania tetrandra S. Moore, family Menispermaeeae.
Root irregulady cylindrical or semicylindrical, curved with marked transverse
constrictions like pig's laige intestines, 5 cm in diameter. Cork grey-yellow,
thin, with protruding transverse and long lenticels. Prepared by crosscutting,
showing broad radial lines and few narrow light brown vessels in the xylem,
appearing white, farinaceous wheelshaped stripes as a whole. Bitter in
taste, cold in nature, and attributive to lung, spleen and urinary bladder
1. Expel wind-dampness and alleviate pain: For arthralgia, especially
of heat type, also for acrodynia. of dampness-heat type, trauma, periarthritis
ofjoint and angina pectoris.
2. Promote diuresis and relieve edema: For edema and dysuria.
3. Eliminate phlegm and relieve asthma: In ancient times, use for dyspneic
cough due to "withered" lung or lung-heat; for hemoptysis with abundant
expectoration due to withered lung, used together with Semen Lepidil seu
Descuram we. Recently, used for bronchial asthma, asthmatic bronchitis,
silicosis, pulmonary tuberculosis, etc.
4. Lower blood pressure: For hypertension, especially that complicated
by coronary heart diseases.
5. Anti-carcinogenic: For carcinoma of lung, and squamous cell epithioma
(decreasing the dosage of radiotherapy by onethird to one-fourth and minimizing
the occurrence of side effect).
1. Hanfangchin A and B are two active components, which have an anti-inflammatory
2. Anti-allergic, inhibiting the release of histamine.
3. Promoting phagocytosis.
4. Dilating coronary artery and decreasing myocardial oxygen consumtion.
5. Inhibiting the growth of Bacillus tuberculosis, Staphylococcus aureus
6. High dosage may induce respiratory inhibition and cardiac arrest.
Table (Hanfangchin A 20 or 60mg): tid.; or 2000300mg tid. for tumor. Ampoule
(Hanfangchin A 6Omg): 120mg added in normal saline 20 ml IV daily, or
30-60mg IM bid.