Rhizome of Dioscorea nipponica Mak., family Dioscoreaceae.
Rhizome slightly curved, cylindroid, branching, 10-15 cm long 0.3-1.3
cm in diameter. Surface grey-yellow, with protruding stem scars and spiny
remnant roots. Prepared as transversely cut slices. Section yellow-white,
showing brown spotted vascular bundles. Hard in texture. Sweet and bitter
in taste, warm in nature, and attributive to liver and lung channels.
1. Promote blood circulation and dredge the channels: For angina pectofis
2. Expel wind and dampness: For rheumatism and numbness of the extremities.
3. Eliminate phlegm, and relieve cough and dyspnea.
4. Clear away toxic materials and relieve swelling: For skin infection,
conjunctivitis and goiter (including hyperthyroidism, adenoma of thyroid).
Recently used for hyperlipemia, hypertriglyceridemia, tachycardia, premature
1. Its saponins are antitussives and expectorants.
2. Its decoction can relax histamine- or acetylcholine-induced bronchial
spasm in guinea-pigs.
3. Decreasing cholesterol level, slowing heart rate and increasing coronary
Decoction: 9-15g; up to 20-50g for single use.
Tablet (containing 40 mg of its extract): 4 tablets tid.