Rhizome of Imperata cylindrica (L.) beauv.var. major (Nees) C.E. Hubb.,
Rhizome slender round-striped, rarely branching, 30-60 cm long, 2-4 mm
diameter; surface yellow-white, nodes visible, with remnant scale leaves,
root and bud scars. Fracture showing radial gaps on the epidermis and
a small pore in the middle. Sweet in taste, cold in nature, and attributive
to lung, stomach and urinary bladder channels.
1. Cool the blood and stop bleeding: Generally used for hematuria and
metrorrhagia, also for hemoptysis, hematemesis and epistaxis, especially
for bleeding due to blood-heat.
2. Clear away heat and promote diuresis: For stranguria of heat type,
edema, dysuria, jaundice, etc. The herb has the advantage of promoting
diuresis without damaging yin.
Clear away heat from the lung and stomach: For febrile diseases with excessive
thirst and diabetes, vomiting due to stomach-heat, dyspnea due to lung-heat.
1. Its aqueous infusion exerts a significant diuretic effect in experimental
2. Shortening clotting time and bleeding time, and decreasing the permeability
of blood vessels.
3. Inhibiting the growth of Staphylococcus aureus and Bacillus dysenteriae.
Decoction: 15-30g; 30-60g of fresh herb.