The resin from the bark of Boswel!ia carterli Birdw and other species
in the same genus, family Burseraceae.
The resin appearing as tear-shaped or small irregular masses, about 0.5-1.5
cm in size. Surface light yellow and translucent, covered with a thin
layer of white. powder. Fracture surface waxy and deep coloured. Becoming
plastic when chewed and white when contacted with water, and forming milky
fluid when ground with water. Delicately aromatic in odour. Acrid and
bitter in taste, warm in nature, and attributive to heart, liver and spleen
1. Promote blood and vital energy circulation, and alleviate pain: For
stagnation of blood and/or vital energy with angina pectoris, headache,
pain in the chest and abdomen, amenia, skin infection and trauma, usually
used together with Myrrha.
2. Relax the tendons and dredge the meridians.: For arthralgia of wind-cold-dampness
type or blood stasis syndrome with muscular spasm, arthralgia and numbness.
3. Cure carbuncle and promote tissue regeneration: For pyogenic infection
of skin, both before and after rupture.
1. Exerting significant analgesic effect.
2. Dilating the peripheral blood vessels.
3. Enhancing the phagocytosis of macrophages in the abdominal cavity of
External use: Appropriate amount.