The pericarp of Citrus reticulata Blanco, family Rutaceae.
Pericarp usually separated into several pieces, or pieces jointed at the
varying in size, about 1 mm in thickness. Exocarp orange-red, with numerous
rounded oil spots; mesocarp white, loose, with numerous reticular vascular
bundles. Aromatic in odour. Bitter and acrid in taste, warm in nature,
and attributive to spleen and lung channels.
1. Activate vital energy circulation and invigorate spleen: For stomach-cold
and stagnation of vital energy with fullness and pain in the abdomen and
vomiting, used together with Radix Auckiandwe; for spleen-deficiency and
stagnation of vital energy with poor appetite, loose stool, fullness of
the abdomen, used together with Rhizoma A tractylodis Macrocephalae, Radix
Codonopsis Pjiosuiae; for dampnessretention syndrome involving spleen-yang
with fullness of the abdomen, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, poor appetite
and loose stool, used together with Cortex Magnoliae Officinalis and Rhizoma
2. Deprive dampness and eliminate phlegm: For phlegm-dampness syndrome
with productive cough and thin expectoration, used together with Rhizoma
Pinelliae and Poria.
Lower the adverse rising energy and stop vomiting: For vomiting due to
stomach-cold, used together with Rhizoma Zingiberis Recens (Decoction
of Exocarpium Citri Grandis); for that due to deficiency-cold of spleen
and stomach, used together with Radix Codonopsis Pilosuine, Rhizoma Atractylodis
Macrocephalae and Fructus Amomi; for that due to stomach-heat, used together
with Caulis Bambusae in Taeniam or Rhizoma Coptidis.
4. Relieve local infection: For carbuncle, especially for acute mastitis,
used together with Radix Glycyrrhizae.
1. Its volatile oil acts as a slight irritant to the gastrointestinal
tract, which can promote the secretion of digestive fluid and expel the
2. The component limonene is an expectorant and antiasthmatic.
3. Methyl hesperidin, another component, given hypodermically in a dose
of 100 mg/kg may promote the discharge of bile in anesthetized rats.
4. Dilating the coronary artery and decreasing the level of serum cholesteroL
Decoction: 3-9g; 30-40g for relieving local infection.