The immature fruit of Citrus aurantium L, family Rutaceae.
Fruit nearly globular (prepared by cutting into two halves), section slightly
protruding with margin revoluted, 3-4 cm in diameter. Exocarp green-brown,
coarse, with numerous granular oil glands and obvious style scars or fruit
stalk scar; mesocarp 0.5 cm thick, white; endocarp divided into 7-12 segments,
with seeds retained or dropped off. Delicately aromatic in odour. Bitter,
acrid and sour in taste, slightly warm in nature, and attributive to spleen
and stomach channels.
1. Activate vital energy circulation and eliminate phlegm, disperse stagnation
and remove mass: For indigestion and stagnation of vital energy with feeling
of fullness in the chest and upper abdomen, used together with Rhizoma
Zingiberis, Rhizoma Coptidis; for phlegm-syndrome with productive cough
and chest pain, used together with Fructus Trichosanthis, Rhizoma Coptidis
(Decoction for Mild Phlegm-Heat Syndrome in the Chest) for heat type and
together with Pericarplum Citri Reticulatae, Rhizoma Zingiberis Recens
for cold type.
2. Activate vital energy in the digestive tract: For stagnation of gastrointestine
with diarrhea and dysentery with tenesmus, or constipation, used together
with Radix et Rhizoma Rhei, Cortex Mcignoliae Officinalts (Decoction for
3. Supplement the vital energy: For hysteroptosis, gastroptosis, prolapse
of rectum, etc. Recently, its injection is used for shock, and also effective
for elevating blood pressure and improving blood supply of the heart,
kidney and brain.
1. Its active components, synephrine and Nmethyl tyramine, lower the blood
pressure in anesthetized dogs.
2. Increasing the coronary flow significantly and heart rate slightly
in anesthetized dogs.
4. Its decoction inhibits the intestines in mice or in rabbits in vitro,
stimulates the intestines in dogs with gastric fistula and intestinal
fistula, and also induces contraction of gravid or non-gravid uterus in
rabbits both in vivo and in vitro.
Decoction: 3-15g; 15-45g for visceroptosis.
Injection: For shock, 10-40g IV, followed by 20-l00g IV in drips.