The dried bark and bark of branch, root of Magnolia officinalis Rehd.
et Wils. or M. officinalis Rehd. et Wils var. biloba Rehd. et Wils., family
1. Dried bark crimple, cut into 30-40 cm long and 0.2-0.7 cm thick; outer
surface grey-brown, coarse, scaly or easily peeled off, with elliptic
lenticella and longitudinal wrinkles, yellow-brown when peeled off the
coarse surface; inner surface smooth purple-brown, with fine longitudinal
striae, oil traces appearing when cut with nails. Prepared by crosscutting,
the section showing granular and oleaginous, and separating out bright
silvery magnolol crystals on the surface after long exposure. Aromatic
2. The bark of branch and root thin, crimple, slightly aromatic. Both
are bitter and acrid in taste, warm in nature, and attributive to spleen,
stomach, lung and large intestine channels.
1. Activate circulation of vital energy, deprive dampness, keep the adverse
energy downward and relieve dyspepsia: For abdominal distension and pain,
nausea, vomiting, constipation or loose stool due to stagnation of dampness
in the middle-jiao or indigestion and stagnation of vital energy. It is
an important drug for relieving distension. For fullness of dampness type,
used together with Rhiroma Atractylodis and Pericarpium Citri Reticulatae;
for fullness of asthenic type, used together with Fructus Aurantii Immaturus
and Radix et Rhizoma Rhei; for fullness due to indigestion, used together
with Semen Raphani and Pericarpium Arecae; for retention of dampness-heat
in the middle-jiao manifested as fullness in the chest and upper abdomen,
vomiting, diarrhea, and yellowish and greasy fur, used together with Rhizoma
Coptidis, Rhizoma Pin elliae.
Calm the adverse rising energy and relieve dyspnea: For shortness of breath
due to adverse rising of lung energy, used together with Semen Armeniacae
Amarum, Fructus Perillae, Radix Peucedani, etc.
1. Broad-spectrum antibacteriaL
2. Magnocurarine, one of the active components, can relax striated muscles.
3. Its decoction stimulates the smooth muscles of intestines and bronchi
in rabbits in vitro.
4. Magnocuraine may also lower blood pressure and accelerate heart rate.
9g (decocted later).
Prolonged boiling will increase its toxicity.