The peel of Zanthoxylum bungeanum Maxim. or Z. schinifolium Sieb. et Zucc.,
Follicle, 2-3 aggregating on the fruit stalk; a single follicle nearly
dehiscing to two valves along the ventral line, 3-5 mm in diameter; pericarp
purpl-red or grey-green, with numerous scattered oil spots or reticular
marks. Strongly aromatic in odour. Acrid in taste, warm in nature, and
attributive to spleen, stomach and kidney channels.
1. Warm the middle jiao to alleviate pain and increase appetite: For deficiency-cold
of spleen and stomach with epigastric and abdominal cold pain, vomiting,
diarrhea and poor appetite.
2. Kill parasites: For roundworm infection with abdominal pain or deficiency-cold
syndrome of spleen and stomach; also for schistosomiasis and oxyuriasis.
Lactifuge: For galactostasis.
4. Deprive dampness and alleviate itching: External use for eczema, pruritus
vulvae and dermatitis rhus.
1. Anthelmintic, more effective on Ascaris suis.
2. An active component, geraniol, exerts a sedative effect in rats.
2-5g; 6-15g daily for lactifuge.
Retention enema: 4-5% decoction 25-30 ml for 3-4 nights successively for