The fruit of Croton tiglium L., family Euphorbiaceae.
Fruit ovate, trigonous, 1.8-2.2 cm long. Carpodermis grey-yellow, slightly
coarse, with six longitudinal lines; apex truncate, base with carpopodiurn
or its scar; 3 celled, each cell containing an elliptical and grey-brown
seed. Acrid in taste, heat in nature, strongly toxic, and attributive
to stomach, large intestine and lung channels.
1. Relax the bowels: For sthenia-syndrome with constipation due to accumulation
of cold, dysentery of cold type. Recently, also used for biliary ascariasis,
biliary infection and cholelithiasis with abdominal pain; for adhesive
ascarial and paralytic ileus; for appendicitis, used together with same
dose of pills of Radix et Rhizoma Rhei and Rhizoma Coptidis, or mixed
with same dose of Cinnabans, applying on point Lanwei.
2. Eliminate fluid and relieve edema: For sthenia-syndrome with edema
3. Eliminate phlegm; Powder insufflation for pharyngitis and diphtheria;
for malaria, applying crushed product on Neiguan and Dazhui 2 hours before
the episode; also used for dyspnea due to the retention of phlegm.
4. Drain the pus and relieve swelling: External use for various kinds
of severe skin lesions; oral use of Crotonis fried in yellow wax for bone
tuberculosis and osteomyclitis.
Locally acting as an irritant for skin and mucosa; orally as a potent
2. Its solution may kill the oncomelania.
3. Its leaf infusion from NaCl solution inhibits the growth of Bacillus
Tablet or capsule: 0.10-0.15g once or twice daily, the daily dose should
be limited within 0.45g. External use: Small amount in a short period.
This medicine is a strong irritant when used externally and may cause
burning pain and vesculation of the skin. Oral use may cause burning sensation
and pain of the digestive tract, vomiting and diarrhea, which can be relieved
by intake of cold porridge, cold water or cold Coptidis solution. Contraindicated
for pregnant women and persons with general debility.