Rhizome of Coptis chinensis Franch. and C. deltoidea C. Y. Cheng et Hsiao,
Rhizome branching at the base with the branches curved up-wards, like
an inverted chicken claw. A single rhizome 3-6 cm long, 0.3-0.8 cm in
surface grey-yellow, coarse, nodes dense, protruding, with relic spiny
fibrous roots, sometimes with internodes, long and smooth; brown scale
leaves and leaf bases often remaining at the top of the rhizome. Cortex
of the section reddish, xylem bright yellow, vascular bundles radial,
pith sometime hollowed. The rhizome of C deltoidea usually single, few
of branches, with longer internodes. Bitter in taste, cold in nature,
and attributive to heart, liver, stomach and large intestine channels.
1. Clear away heat and deprive dampness from the middle-jiao: For diarrhea,
dysentery and jaundice of daiiipness-heat type, stranguria of heat type,
dampness-heat syndrome involving the gastrointestine with abdominal fullness,
nausea, vomiting, red tongue with yellowish greasy coating.
2. Purge the sthenic fire and clear away toxic material: For various types
of intense heat-syndrome, such as seasonal febrile diseases, pestilence,
carbuncle, furunculosis complicated by septicemia, sorethroat, conjunctivitis,
burn, etc. Applicable to cases with high fever, extreme thirst, restlessness,
red tongue, yellow fur, rapid pulse, delirium and coma
3. Clear away heart-fire and relieve vexation: For sthenic heart-fire
syndrome with fever, chest upset and insomnia.
4. Purge sthenic fire to stop bleeding: For heat-syndrome with hemitemesis,
hemoptysis, epistaxis, hemafecia, or hematuria, usually used together
with Radix Scutellariae, Fructus Gardeniae and Radix et Rhizoma RheL
Its chief component is berberine.
Possessing broad-spectrum antibacterial and antiprotozoal effects.
2. Intravenous injection or oral administration of berberine exerts a
hypotensive effect on experimental animals.
3. Small dosage of berberine enhances the action of acetylcholine on animals'
hearts in vitro, while large dosage counteracts it.
4. Relaxmg the smooth muscles of blood vessels and stimulating those of
uterus, urinary bladder, bronchus and gastrointestines.
5. Promoting bile secretion.
6. Berberine inhibits the cellular growth of ascitic cancer and lymphoma.
Decoction: 3-9g. Tablet (berberine 0. l-0.2g): tid or qid.