Fruit of Gardenia jasminoides Ellis var. radicans (Thunb.) Makino, family
Fruit elliptical, 1.5-3.5 cm long, red-yellow, with six winged longitudinal
remnant of sepal at the top; base acuminate and thin, with remnant of
fruit stalk. Three pseudo-membranes seen when cut open. Seeds flat-ovate,
deep red, numerous and gathering into masses. Bitter in taste, cold in
nature, and attributive to liver, lung, stomach and triple-jiao channels.
1. Purge sthenic fire to relieve vexation: For febrile diseases with irritability,
insomnia, and even high fever, coma and delirium.
2. Clear away heat and promote diuresis: For jaundice and stranguria of
3. Clear away heat and toxic materials: For skin infection of intense
heat type, erysipelas, burn and conjunctivitis.
4. Cool the blood and stop bleeding: For heat-syndrome with hematemesis,
hemoptysis, epistaxis, hematuria, hemafecia, metrorrhagia, etc.
Remove blood stasis and alleviate pain: For trauma with local swelling
and pain (external use).
1. The active such as crocin, crocetin, genipin, or alcoholic extract
protect the liver from carbon tetrachloride and increase biliary secretion.
Oral use of its decoction induce gailbaladder contraction.
2. Oral or intraperitoneal use of its decoction and alcoholic extract
exerts a sustained hypotensive effect in anaesthetized and un-anaesthetized
Decoction: 3-9g. External use: appropriate amount.