Rhizome of Fagopyrum cymosum (Trev.) Meisn., family Polygonaceae.
The crude drug irregularly tuberous or terete, somewhat branching, the
base of the branch tubercular; 3-15 cm long, 1-4 cm in diameter. Outer
surface brown with annular nodes, spotted lenticels and relic fibrous
roots or fibrous root traces. Section showing yellow to light brown with
radial vascular bundles, and deep coloured pith. Slightly acrid and astringent
in taste, cool in nature, and attributive to lung and liver channels.
1. Clear away heat and toxic material: For lung abscess; cough due to
lung-heat, also for sorethroat and skin infection.
2. Promote blood circulation to eliminate blood stasis: For menorrhalgia
due to blood stasis, postpartum abdominal pain due to blood stasis.
3. Expel wind and dampness: For rheumatism.
1. Its extractum and component flavanol promotes macrophage phagocytosis
in the peritoneum of mouse.
2. Flavanol is also an anti-inflammatory component. It promotes blood
circulation and inhibits the agglutination of blood platelet.
Decoction: 15-30; for cases of lung abscess, the drug should be stewed
in a separated container.