The flower bud of Lonicera japonica Thunb., L. hypoglauca Miq. and L.
confusa DC., family Caprifoliaceae.
Flower bud rounded-obtuse at the upper end, gradually narrowing downwards
to be clavate, somewhat curved; 2-3 cm long; corolla being the main part,
yellow-white to yellow, densely hairy or sparsely hairy; calyx at the
base short and small, green, 5-dentoid lobed, hairy or only at sepaL Flowers
in blossom with bilabiate corolla, stamen and pistil protruded. Sweet
in taste, cold in nature, and attributive to lung, stomach and large intestine
Clear away heat and toxic material, expel wind and heat.
1. For the onset of seasonal febrile diseases or exogenous wind-heat syndrome
with high fever and mild chilliness, thirst and floating pulse, usually
used together with Fructus Forsythiae, Herba Schizonepetae.
2. For qifen sthenia-heat syndrome with high fever, excessive thirst,
yellow fur, full and large pulse, usually used together with Gypsum Fibrosum,
Rhizoma An emarrhenae.
3. For yingfen and yuefen heat syndrome with fever, restlessness and insomnia,
skin eruption, crimson and dry tongue, usually used together with Cortex
Moutan Radicis, Radix Rehmanniae.
For sorethroat, skin infections, used together with Herba Taraxaci, Flos
5. For dysentery due to intense heat-toxic.
1. Broad-spectrum antibiotic, chlorogenic acid, isochlorogenic acid and
luteohn are the major active components.
2. Anti-inflammatory, 0.25g/kg intraperitoneally in mice.
4. Its aqueous distillate (1:1280) promotes white cell phagocytosis and
enhances lymphocyte-blastogenesis rate in vitro.
Decoction: 9-15g, up to 30-60g.