Root of Paeonia lacti:flora Pall., or several other species of the same
genus, family Ranunculaceae.
terete, unequal in length, 0.8-3.0 cm in diameter; cork brown; lenticels
transversely protruded and wrinkles running longitudinally. Prepared as
crosscut reddish pieces, with radial bundles seen in the xylem; rigid
and brittle in texture. Bitter in taste, slightly cold in nature, and
attributive to liver channel:
1. Clear away the heat and cool the blood: For seasonal febrile diseases
involving xuefen with fever, eruptions and crimson tongue, and blood-heat
syndrome with hematemesis or epistaxis.
2. Promote blood circulation to remove blood stasis: For blood-stasis
syndrome with amenorrhea, menalgia, chest pain, abdominal pain, abdominal
masses, trauma, or skin infection.
3. Clear away liver-fire to promote visual acuity: For liver-heat syndrbme
with conjunctivitis or hypochondriac pain.
Paeoniflorin, one of its active components, has a strong antispastic effect
and also analgesic, sedative, anticonvulsive, antibacterial and anti-imflammatory
2. Dilating blood vessels, increasing coronary flow and improving myocardial
3. Inhibiting platelets aggregation.