Herb of Seneclo scandens Buch.-Ham., family Compositae. dim
Herb, more than 1 m. tall. Stem slender, somewhat tortuous. leaves opposite,
triangular-lanceolate. Capitulum numerous, in corymb arrangement, corolla
yellow. Bitter in taste, cold in nature, and attributive to lang, liver
and large intestine channels.
1. Clear away heat and toxic material: For skin infection, sore-throat,
erysipelas, appendicitis, etc. Recently also used for leptospirosis.
2. Clear away liver-fire to treat eye disease: For conjunctivitis. Recently
used for acute and chronic conjunctivitis, trachoma, keratitis, corneal
ulcer, etc., orally or toptically.
3. Clear dampness-heat: For diarrhea and dysentery of dampness-heat type,
skin lesions of dampness type, etc.
I. Broad-spectrum antibacteric. Its antibacterial components are para-hydroxyphenylacetic
acid, salicylic acid, vanillic acid, pyromucic acid and hydroquinone.
2. Its 1/80-1/I600 decoction inhibits the growth of leptospira.
3. Anti-trichomonas vaginalis in vitro.
4. Its component, senecionine, is anticarcinogenic on Walker sarcoma
Decoction: 15-30g. Eyedrop: 50% solution.