The exuviae of nymph during emergence of Cryptotympana pustulata Fabricius,
shell like a cicada, hollowed, yellow-brown, semiopaque, lustrous, coriaceous
and elastic; composed of three portions, i.e., head, chest and abdomen.
A pair of compound eyes on the head, two pairs of wings and a crossed
gap on the chest, and three pairs of feet on both sides of the abdomen.
Sweet in taste, cold in nature, and attributive to lung and liver channels.
I. Expel wind and cold: For common cold of wind-heat type and early stage
of seasonal febrile diseases, especially for those with sore throat and
hoarseness, and children with fever and restlessness.
2. Let out the skin eruption and alleviate itching: For early stage of
eruptive diseases with incomplete eruption and skin itching, usually used
together with Herba Menthae, Herba Schizonepetae, etc.
Expel wind and relieve spasm: For tetanus, febrile diseases complicated
by convulsion and infantile convulsion.
4. Improve eyesight and remove nebula: For conjunctivitis of wind-heat
type an nebula. Recently used for cataract and corneal opacity.
1. Decreasing the tension of striated muscles and acting as a ganglionoplegic
in experimental animals.
2. Synergic with hexobarbital.
3. Antagonizing convulsive effect of strychnine, cocaine and nicotine.