Herb of Asarum heterotropoides Fr. Schmidt var. mandshuricum (Maxim.)
Kitag. and A. sieboidji Miq., family Aristolochiaceae.
Rhizome slender, nodose, with many slender fibrous roots at the nodes.
Basal leaves with long petiole, blades cordate. With pungent and fragrant
odour. Acrid in taste, warm in nature, and attributive to lung and kidney
1. Induce sweating to expel cold and exogenous evils from the body surface,
expel wind and relieve pain: For common cold of wind-cold type with severe
headache and general aching, especially for the case with yang-deficiency,
recurrent headache, headache of wind-cold type, toothache, arthralgia
of wind-cold-dampness type.
2. Warm the lung to promote expectoration: For cough and dyspnea with
thin sputum attributive to lung-cold.
Wake up from unconsciousness: For sudden syncope, use powder for nasal
insufflation to induce sneezing.
I. Sedative, analgesic and antipyretic.
2. Its alcoholic infusion induces anesthetic effect on the sciatic neuroplexus
of frogs and human lingual mucosa.
3. D1-demethy1 coclaurine acts as a cardiotonic and vasodilator, and can
also relax smooth muscles, accelerate lipid metabolism and raise the level
of blood sugar.
4. Safrole is its main antimycotic active component. ,